Hanze UAS: forerunner in the field of sustainability
On 30 May Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen (Hanze UAS) was the first Dutch higher education institution to sign the declaration of ‘Higher Education Sustainability Initiative for Rio+20’. By doing so Hanze UAS is a forerunner in the field of sustainability.
Social responsibility and sustainability have long been important spearheads of Hanze UAS, not only as far as education is concerned, but also with regard to research and in the capacity of employer. By signing the declaration, Hanze UAS is committed to carry out the following:
- Teaching concepts of sustainable development
- Encouraging research in sustainable development
- Developing a green campus
- Supporting sustainable initiatives in our region
- Seeking international cooperation and sharing results
A good example of sustainability is the opening of the free water tap in Zernike Campus on 20 June.