The entire programme will take 3 semesters and starts in the first week of September. Each semester has a full-time study load of 30 ECTS credits, so 90 ECTS for the complete programme. By structuring the course in three sections, students are guaranteed to spend time in at least two different EU countries and make contact with a wide range of European universities and companies involved in the renewable energy sector.
After completion of the programme the student will obtain the degree title ‘European M.Sc. in Renewable Energy’. The student will also receive a Certificate of Equivalence from the EUREC agency.
The programme's three semesters
The MSc programme consists of 3 semesters:
1. THE CORE
The first semester the student will acquire a solid foundation in key renewable
energy technologies and the socio-economic issues related to these. For the core the student can choose one of the following universities:
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen, The Netherlands for the core taught in English
- Ecole des Mines de Paris, France, taught in French
- Zaragoza University, Spain, taught in Spanish
- Loughborough University, UK, taught in English
- Oldenburg University, Germany, taught in English
2. THE SPECIALISATION
The second semester will give students the opportunity to specialise in a chosen technology at a different university. The specialisations are taught in English. For the specialization there are the following options:
- Photovoltaics - taught at the University of Northumbria in the UK
- Wind Energy - taught at the National Technical University of Athens in Greece
- Grid Integration - taught at the University of Zaragoza in Spain
- Solar Thermal - taught at the University of Perpignan in France
- Ocean Energy - taught at IST Lisbon in Portugal
3. THE THESIS PROJECT
In the third semester each student will conduct a 6 month research project in a company or a research centre. This is done under supervision of a professor of the core, a professor of the specialization and a supervisor from the project provider.