Open Call - Art in public space - Selwerd
We are looking for an alumnus of the Minerva Art Academy/Frank Mohr Institute to realize an artwork in the Selwerd district of Groningen.
The Dragant (Duindoornstraat), Cornus (Kornoeljestraat) and the Acero (Esdoornlaan) are three iconic student flats in the Selwerd district. With more than 900 residential units and fifty years of existence, the flats play an important role in Groningen's student life. The flats were renovated by construction company Van Wijnen on behalf of Lefier; the last flat (Cornus) will be completed in early 2022. A new cycle path has been realized that connects the three flats and the Selwerd district. In 1969 Robert Maingay made an artwork near the Cornus. It is the wish of Van Wijnen and Lefier that for this special occasion, a new work of art will be realized at the Dragant.
Image: de Dragant
What is the starting point?
A new artwork at the Dragant. The artwork should have a relation with the work of Robert Maingay and the Selwerd district. Preference is given a physical and solidly built artwork that can remain standing for at least thirty years.
Image: Robert Maingay, Vorm (1969). Stichting Maingay
Who are you?
You graduated from Minerva Art Academy/Frank Mohr Institute between 2011 and 2021 and you have an active practice. Part of your practice is making sculptures, objects and/or work in public space. You have a clear vision about art in public space and how you can connect with the environment. Duos or collectives can also register.
Who are we?
Van Wijnen and Lefier have approached the project bureau of Minerva Art Academy to bring about this assignment. Gisanne Hendriks and Lieselot van Damme are the project coordinators who carry out this assignment on behalf of the Minerva Art Academy project bureau.
Submit your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 17 January 2022, stating "Open Call: Art in public space – Selwerd" in the email title. The proposal must contain the following elements, merged into a single PDF file:
- Motivation letter (max 1 A4)
- Portfolio of the past five years, with a short bio and link to your website (max 5 A4)
- CV (max 1 A4)
- Rough sketch (max 1 A4)
- Short explanation of the sketch and its connection with Robert Maingay's work and the Selwerd district (max 1 A4)
Three proposals are selected from the submissions that proceed to the sketch assignment. The final selection is made after a presentation in which both local residents and the jury have voted.
Contact and planning
- Deadline application: Monday January 17, 2022
- First selection: end of January, 2022
- Deadline sketch assignment: Monday February 28, 2022
- Presentation jury and local residents: End of February/ beginning of March 2022
- Final selection: mid March 2022
- Execution phase: March - August 2022
- Placing the artwork: September 2022
- Unveiling of the artwork: Saturday September 24, 2022
The fee for the sketch assignment is €1,050. The selected artist will receive a fee of €12,500 and a material budget of €12,500.*. Amounts are exclusive of VAT.
* The technical installation of the work (foundation, lighting, attachment, rental of aerial work platform) is not covered by the assignment.