Studying with a disability

Studenten aan tafel in overleg

Are you a current or prospective student with a physical, psychological or, sensory disability, temporary or otherwise, or a chronic illness? As a student of Hanze UAS, you can apply for special study facilities and support.

Applying for facilities

If you are experiencing, or expect to experience, limitations during your studies due to a disability or illness, we advise you to seek information and apply for an appointment with the student counsellor, preferably before starting your studies. Schedule a meeting with a student counselor to discuss your options. Even if you are dealing with temporary medical or psychological issues, it is worth having a conversation with a student counsellor. In the overview at the bottom of this page, you can see some examples of (exam) facilities or adjustments that may be possible.

Study delay due to a disability or illness

Depending on the nature and severity of your disability, it might not be possible to acquire the mandatory 48 EC for the binding study advice (BSA) in your first year. In this event, you can file a request with the Examination Board to postpone the BSA. You can discuss the consequences of your disability or illness with the student counsellors. The Examination Board makes the final decision. In the event of a study delay as a result of a disability or illness, a compensatory student financial arrangement is available from the Education Executive Agency (DUO). In addition, you may also be eligible to receive financial assistance from Hanze UAS' Student Assistance Fund. It is important in this regard that, if you know you are going to incur a delay, you notify the student counsellor as soon as possible.

Pregnancy and studying as a parent

On the website of Welcome Center North you can find important information about child matters.

Medical certificate

In order to claim facilities or financial arrangements, you will be asked to provide a medical certificate issued by a registered expert.

Functional disability and facilities