Depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, you will have some immigration formalities to deal with. Failing to meet Dutch immigration requirements may result in you not being able to study at Hanze University of Applied Science, Groningen (Hanze UAS). Legal residency starting on the 1st of September or the 1st of February is a formal enrolment requirement.


  • Studievoortganggroep

    FAQ Immigration

    In the frequently asked questions (FAQ) section you will find answers to some of the questions you may have about immigration.

    Learn more
  • Studenten op Museumbrug 2021

    Financial guarantee and refund policy

    Find out what the costs of the financial guarantee are in your case and when you are entitled to a refund.

    Learn more
  • Student theorie in Forum

    Immigration procedure TEV

    If you have a non- EU/EEA nationality (but aren’t from Canada, the USA, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, the UK, Monaco or Vatican city), watch the video and follow this procedure.

    Learn more
  • Student achter laptop in Forum met Martinitoren op de achtergrond

    Immigration procedure VVR

    If you are from Canada, the USA, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the UK, Monaco or Vatican City, watch the video and follow this procedure.

    Learn more
  • Drie studenten fietsen op Martinikerkhof 2022

    Immigration procedure: Extension

    When your current residency permit is going to expire within the next three months, follow these steps to start the extension procedure.

    Learn more
  • Studeren met telefoon in Forum 2022

    Immigration procedure: Changing the purpose of your residence permit

    If your current Dutch residence permit has another purpose, follow this procedure to change it into a study permit.

    Learn more
  • Informeel overleg in Forum 2022.jpg

    Transferring from another university in the Netherlands

    If you are transferring from another university, follow this procedure to keep your current residence permit valid.

    Learn more
  • Student legt iets uit 2022.jpg

    Immigration procedure - Intra EU mobility

    Are you a non-EU student studying at a EU university with a residence permit for study purposes who is planning to go an exchange to Hanze UAS? Then the Intra-EU immigration procedure will apply to you.

    Learn more
  • Pauze in atrium 2022.jpg

    MoMi: Study Progress Monitoring & Yearly Check

    According to Dutch Immigration law you need to obtain at least fifty percent of the available study credits (ECTS) each academic year. This requires a yearly check.

    Learn more